September 24, 2007

A small trifle...

Today I finally received my two contributor copies of "Big Muddy etc." Quite frankly, I had given up on ever receiving them, but what do you know...

The story [Makedonija] appears without editorial intervention, which I don't think is necessarily a compliment for the story, as much as it is a strike against the journal.

Anyways, all looks fine until the bio note at the end, which reads:


Miroslav Penkov is a native of Bulgaria and is currently persuing an MFA degree at the University of Arkansas. She has published...

She? Oh, come on, I know my name is weird (in America) but anyone in the world of literature ought to be able to figure out that a name like Penkov belongs to a guy... Just look at all the great Russians: Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin... okay, maybe not them, but you'll find some to give you a clue, I promise...

That's a small trifle really. Or is it?

No comments: